Monday, July 20, 2009

film/tv images that inspire

Seeing that I want to work in film, I figured I should show some of the images and environments that have inspired me in the past.  I would say it started out when I first saw the images from films such as: Back to the Future I and II (and I suppose III, but I always had something against it), Dick Tracey, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Clue,. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands (I have a thing liking for Tim Burton)..to name a few.  I've posted some images of frame shots and production stills that are truly beautiful works of famed production designers and art directors.  I hope you enjoy.

I thought I'd start out with a TV series, Pushing Daisies.  Of which the art direction is absolutely mesmerizing.

2008_10_18-pushing-daisies3Pushing Daisies started up in 2007 but came to a quick close in the winter of 2008.  I recently got into this show this year, but I am amazed at the color and vibrancy of the show's sets and costumes.  Production Designer Michael Wylie has commented that, "My goal was a storybook come to life. I wanted everything to look almost like an illustration." 

Cinematographer Michael Weaver said that he and the producers decided the visuals should "feel somewhere between Amélie and a Tim Burton film — something big, bright and bigger than life." (Maybe that's why I like it so much...)

pushing_daisies31Did I mention how the costumes are also spot on? There is no holding back on this wardrobe department...109178_6165

From young Ned's childhood.  I love the use of pattern vs. color here, and how the reds are constantly popping out throughout the show.pushing-daisies22

Whoa saturation...

109186_D_105

At first, I didn't know if I liked the hanging red lights/cherry looking things, but I realized after watching the show more and more the usage of this circular motif and how they really are a very important set pieces because they give this "larger than life" storybook image a boost of color and shape.

Picture 4


I just love Molly Shannon...and Mike White.


lemony-snicket-s-a-series-of-unfortunate-events-0


Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.  Directed by Brad Siberling. Production Design by Rick Heinrichs. A darker tale, but being that I love Jim Carey and darker fairy tale settings, this is definitely a must see.


lemony-snickets-400ds0716


AmelieBedroom


Who can forget our beloved Amelie. This film has such beautiful use of color (actually similar color palette to Pushing Daisies with the reds and greens).


bb-amelieLike Pushing Daisies as well, Amelie used subtle special effects in order to give the film a heightented sense of fantasy in this real-world setting.


Pans-Labyrinth-movie-01


Pan's Labyrinth is another fairy tale that mashes fantasy and reality into a visual journey of color contrast.  The "fairy tale" world appears very warm and bright, where the real world of fascist Spain appears to be a cold and unwelcoming place.


sweeney-todd_1119


Sweeney Todd, directed by Tim Burton is anoter very dark film contrasted with flashback imagery of light and care-free living.  I love the way Burton plays with color in his film, as the greys are very grey and the people always pale.willy-wonka-in-chocolate-factory


A colorful change-up.  Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of those films that holds its legend of magic and mystery for everyone who watched it growing up.  I remember first watching the scene where they enter the candy haven and suddenly these oddly formed objects starting popping up, people are eating flowers, drinking from the stream, and licking wallpaper.  Orange men ran rampant in a stylized choreography mean for this out-of-world land.  I loved the film so much as a kid that the Burton remake was something I anticipated greatly.


denise_nickerson1


Wonka crew before..charlieandthechocolatefactorypic


Wonka crew after.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. As a big fan of production designer, Alex Mcdowell, I found this film to be a stunning film to watch with its highly saturated colors and digitally created, gradiouse environments.  The characters and the places pop out more than ever before, and this high stylization made for an even quirkier tale of a candy-coated wonderland.  Dick+Tracy-Street-plate


Dick Tracey directed by Warren Beaty, Producion Design by Richard Sylbert.  A very whacky take on primary color options and bold use of environment design.  The cars are bright colors, the doors, windows, street lamps are all painted.  It's a cartoon come to life. clue-pic


Last, but certainly not least one of the films that inspired me the most, Clue.  I found this movie on a poorly labled VHS tape that my brothers used to film home videos, teenage mutant ninja turtles, and the Elephant Show (for me).  It was labeled "Glue" in green marker on the bottom left label - and after popping this baby in once, I was hooked for life.


Not only does the 1950's art direction take you into the era and into the game, but each character adds their own sense of style to this mix of murderers.  If you haven't seen the film, please do.  Because I love talking about it. Clue-MovieShot02


I feel like I'm cutting myself short on my visual inspirations, but I'd say this is a good start.  Lots more fantasy and colors to come.


Hope you enjoy!


Cheers,


Laur

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...